Dancer pose is an advanced balancing, hip opener that stretches the quads, hip flexors, abs, chest and shoulders and improves hip stability. It’s essentially a standing quad stretch with a bit of panache.
DANCER POSE BENEFITS
- Improves balance and proprioception.
- Stretches the knees, quads, hip flexors, abs, chest and shoulders.
- Strengthens the feet, ankles, legs and hips.
- Improves spinal mobility.
- Trains focus and concentration.
Stand with your feet hip-width apart, toes pointing straight ahead.
Shift your weight into your right foot. Bend your left knee and take hold of the inside of your left foot with your left hand. Lift your right arm up. Take a deep breath in. Exhale, lean forward and kick your back foot into the palm your left hand.
Fix your gaze on a point that isn’t moving to help you keep your balance. Try to stay as still as you can. Draw your ribs and your lower abs in to protect your lower back.
Hold the pose for 3-5 breaths on each side.
- Avoid Dancer pose if you have a foot, hip, back or shoulder injury.