- Stretches the back, groin, adductors, hamstrings and knees.
- Externally rotates the hips.
- Releases tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Quiets the mind.
- Can help to alleviate neck and shoulder pain.
From a seated position, bring the soles of your feet together in the shape of a diamond and let your knees relax down towards the mat.
Inhale, sit up tall. Exhale, fold forward and completely relax your upper body—arms, neck and head.
Stay in the pose for 2-5 minutes, breathing in and out through your nose.
- To Release
Take a deep breath in. Exhale, gently come back up. Bring your legs out in front of you and give them a shake.
MODIFICATIONS FOR TIGHT HIPS
- The further your feet are from your hips, the gentler the stretch.
- If your hips are tight, try sitting on the edge of a block.
- You can put a bolster on your feet for your head to rest on.
- If you have knee pain, you can put cushions under your knees for support.
- Avoid Folded Butterfly if you have a knee, groin or lower back injury.