Balancing Half Moon is an advanced posture that challenges your balance, strengthens and opens up the hips and develops focus and concentration.
BALANCING HALF MOON BENEFITS
- Improves balance.
- Strengthens the feet, ankles, knees, hips, glutes, abs and back.
- Stretches the ankles, calves, hamstrings, groin, chest and neck.
- Externally rotates the hips.
- Improves focus and concentration.
Come into Warrior 2.
Bring your right fingertips to the mat just outside your front foot. Straighten your right leg and lift your left leg up to hip height. Reach your left hand up to the sky and look down at the mat or straight ahead.
Flex your back foot. And look up to your fingertips for more of a challenge.
You can bring your right hand to a block to allow you to straighten your standing leg.
Hold the pose for 3-5 breaths on each side.
- To Release
Take a deep breath in. Exhale, carefully step back to Warrior 2 for the other side.
BALANCING HALF MOON VARIATION: Candy Cane Pose
- Bend your left knee and take hold of your foot with your left hand. As you press the top of your foot into your palm, open up your chest and look straight ahead.
- Avoid this pose if you have an ankle or hip injury.