- Stretches the ankles, calves, hamstrings and hip flexors.
- Opens up the hips.
- Strengthens the feet, ankles, legs, glutes, hips, back, shoulders and arms.
- Can help to alleviate knee and lower back pain.
Stand at the top of your mat with your feet hip-width apart.
Take a deep breath in. Exhale, step your left foot back toward the back of your mat. Inhale, bring your arms up by our ears. Exhale, drop your hips and try to bring your front thigh parallel to the mat.
Check that your front knee is directly above your front ankle and in line with your second toe. Relax your shoulders and press back through your left heel. Check that your back heel points directly up to the sky. Contract your abs and pelvic floor to stabilise your hips.
Hold the pose for 3-5 deep breaths on each side.
VARIATION: Eagle Lunge
This variation with Eagle arms stretches your upper back, shoulders and wrists and challenges your balancing skills.
- When your right foot is forward, stretch your arms out to the sides, cross your right arm over the left, bend your elbows, wrap your forearms and try to bring your palms together. Lift your elbows and look straight ahead.
- Switch your arms so that your left arm comes over the right when your left foot is forward.
TWISTING VARIATION: High Lunge Twist
This version of High Lunge helps to re-align your pelvis.
- From High Lunge, take a deep breath in, reach up. Exhale, twist your torso to the left and reach through your fingertips.
- Avoid High Lunge if you have a foot or hip injury.