Lizard pose is a key hip opener that stretches the hip flexors, hamstrings, glutes and groin and can help to alleviate lower back pain.
LIZARD POSE BENEFITS
- Stretches the hip flexors, hamstrings, glutes and groin.
- Opens up the hips.
- Can help to alleviate lower back pain.
Come to Downward Dog.
Take a deep breath in. Exhale, step your right foot in between your hands. Drop your left knee, release your back foot and slide it back. Bring your right hand inside your right foot and walk your right foot out to the edge of the mat. Relax into the stretch.
You can bring both hands to blocks if your hips are tight.
Hold the pose for 3-5 deep breaths, in and out through your nose.
- To Release
Take a deep breath in. Exhale, tuck your back toes and step back to Downward Dog for the other side.
ADVANCED LIZARD POSE VARIATION
- If you have the flexibility in your hips, you can come down onto your forearms and interlace your fingers.
- If this is too intense, you can rest your forearms on a bolster.
- Avoid Lizard pose if you have a knee, hip or lower back injury.