- Stretches the TFL, IT band, glutes and piriformis.
- Stretches the abs, obliques, back, intercostals, chest, shoulders and neck.
- Improves spinal mobility.
Sit up straight with both legs out in front of you.
Cross your right foot to the outside of your left thigh and bring your left foot back beside your right hip. Place your right fingertips behind you and hug your left knee into your chest. Inhale, sit up tall. Exhale, twist to the right from the base of your spine.
To increase the intensity of the pose, bring your left elbow to outside of your right knee. Inhale, lengthen your spine. Exhale, twist a little deeper.
Hold the pose for 3 breaths on each side.
- If both your sitting bones are not in contact with the mat in the twist or it just feels uncomfortably tight, keep your left leg straight out in front of you and flex your foot.
- Avoid Seated Spinal Twist if you have a hip, back or knee injury.