- Improves balance.
- Strengthens the feet, ankles, knees, hips, core and shoulders.
- Enhances focus and concentration.
Stand with your feet hip-width apart, toes pointing straight ahead.
Shift your weight into your right foot and hug your left knee into your chest. Take a deep breath in. Exhale, lean forward, bring your palms together at your chest and press your left foot back. You can keep your standing leg slightly bent. When you have your balance, reach both arms out in front of you.
Fix your gaze on a point that isn’t moving to help you keep your balance. Flex your left foot and point your toes straight down. Press back through your heel.
Try to hold the pose still for 3-5 deep breaths, in and out through your nose.
- To Release
Take a deep breath in. Exhale, come back up to standing for the other side.
- Rest your fingertips on the mat and bend your standing leg as much as you need to. Or you can bring your hands to blocks.
VARIATION: Airplane Warrior 3
- This is my favourite variation of the pose. The key is to try to keep your hips level and your lower back flat.
VARIATION: Praying Warrior 3
- I like this version too.
ADVANCED VARIATION: Eagle Warrior 3
- If you want to get really fancy, you can come into Eagle arms.
- Avoid Warrior 3 if you have a foot, leg or hip injury.