Wild Thing is an advanced backbend that improves spine and shoulder mobility, challenges your balance and strengthens the wrists and shoulders. Please be very careful with this pose, especially if you have any weakness in your shoulders or lower back issues. It should come fairly late in your practice when your spine and shoulders are fully warmed up.
WILD THING BENEFITS
- Increases shoulder and spine mobility.
- Stretches the hip flexors, abs, obliques, chest and shoulders.
- Strengthens the hands, wrists, shoulders, back and legs.
- Improves balance and coordination.
Start in Side Plank on your right hand.
Check that your right wrist is directly underneath your right shoulder and reach your left hand up to the sky. Step your left foot back onto the mat behind you, lift your hips, arch your spine back and drop your head. Reach through your fingertips.
Hold the pose for 3-5 breaths.
- To Release
Take a deep breath in. Exhale, come back to Plank and repeat on the other side.
- This is an advanced posture so please make sure that you’re fully warmed up and that you have sufficient strength and mobility in your back and shoulders. If you’re not sure, you can get many of the same benefits of improving spinal mobility and strengthening the shoulders and core by practicing Side Plank and Bridge.
- Avoid Wild Thing if you have a wrist, shoulder, neck, back or hip injury.