- Opens up the hips.
- Stretches the ankles, knees, groin and glutes.
- Strengthens the feet and ankles.
- Can help to alleviate lower back pain.
Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
Inhale, sweep your arms out and up. Exhale, swan dive down into Standing Forward Bend. Heel-toe your feet to the edges of your mat, bend your knees and come down into a squat. Bring your upper body in between your thighs and touch your palms together.
Inhale, lengthen your spine. Exhale, press your triceps against your knees to open up your hips.
If you have tight ankles and your heels don’t reach the ground, you can stay up on your toes with your heels lifted or support them on a block. If it is tight hips that are restricting you, bring your feet out wider and turn them out to the sides.
Hold the pose for 5-10 deep breaths, in and out through your nose.
- To Release
Bring your hands behind you and sit back on the mat or press up to standing with a flat back.
TWISTING VARIATION: Squat Twist
- Bring your right hand flat to the mat. Inhale, sweep your left hand up to the sky—look up to your fingertips—twisting from the base of your spine. Exhale, relax into the pose. Repeat on the other side.
- Avoid Yoga Squat if you have an ankle, hip or knee injury.